Chris Moon Creative

Sunday, January 16, 2011

Sale Time

Post xmas sale season is upon us and we are, as usual, inundated with broken size-curves, duff merchandise and unwanted lines. Which is the time I do my shopping as I can pick up something at a steal that I like that the masses didn't , my win >:-)

Sale presentations have always been an pain-in-the-posterier in my time in retail. From the pack-the-window-with-as-much-crap-as-possible-so-no-one-misses-it mindset (well to be honest I've found that criteria applied in non-sale presentations as well, sooooo) to the still persistent idea that it should be presented as 'fashionably' and prominently as possible to entice sales - er, its on sale because, well it didn't sell, and folk don't like it and mutton dressed as lamb is still mutton!

Still, the sale has to be distinguishable from other promotional activity. Again, like Xmas, sale-time tends to rather design restrictive, the norm being 'SALE' in big letters and a combination of red, white and black or black, red and white or...you get the picture.

Yes, in my mind sale is sale, you're taking a knock on your prices and the last thing you want to do is throw more money at it. But it is still a representation of who you are and hopefully, an enticement to the customer to buy into new lines and regular non-sale items and I think, in todays retail market image is near everything - a shabby sale makes you look shabby and cheap merchandising is just that.

I like the clean lean and mean option, let folk now what's going on in an as expedient way as possible - like this:





By now your customer should have an idea of the kind of merchandise that you have and what to expect.If your image looks professional and crisp then the expectation that a good bargain is to be had will be maintained.

Nothing wrong with a bit of fun, a quirk, something that stands out from the herd and it doesn't have to cost an arm and a leg.

I liked Truworths take:





Yah, I couldn't resist, (Truworth bashing again?) It was first thing in the morning and the signage had fallen down overnight, revealing a rather bemused looking mannequin to the early morning mallers seeking that pre working/shopping day caffeinated rush. I do like the idea of the model clad in sale-wrap - effective, to the point and with a touch of humour.




No comments:

Post a Comment