Chris Moon Creative

Sunday, April 17, 2011

Justification?

I started this blog a few months ago, last August to be precise, because I'd been cast back into the role of fully employed retail display type person through events not completely of my own choosing. I started it as I thought it might aid me in embracing a field that I had, a few years previously left for good, I do tend to maintain that if you're going to do something-do it properly, with vim, vigor and enthusiasm.

However, as of late, all the old ghosts have come back to haunt me. I have thought, and think even more so now, that encouraging folk to buy things they don't really want or need is wrong. Over consumption will be our undoing and I've for a long time disdained marketing and advertising, retail display is merely part of that process and I've run out of ways to justify it otherwise. (My re-entry to retail was as a buyer, and I foolishly thought I could do some good, encourage a bit of enterprise, or something. It was also interesting. ) At some stage I'll take the gap and abandon it, for good this time - well as far as retail goes, anyway. It is, however, the trade I've worked in for over 30 years and will be hard to not utilise skills learned in other projects - one I remember fondly from a year or so ago was for a museum exhibit.

I think, for fun, I'll keep this blog going though and perhaps use it to show the excesses we go to to sell some piece of tat, some piece of glittery gadgetry with its built in obsolescence, some ridiculous fashion statement tacked together to last a season - barely. Perhaps I'll try shine some light on the opposites of that as well.

Goodnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment